An Architectural & Historical Note
Ayton Castle is a prominently-
The original castle, a peel tower, had once been a stronghold of the Home family. This castle was captured by the English in 1497, and the nearby church was the scene of the subsequent negotiation of the treaty of Ayton, signed on 30 September 1497. The tower was replaced by a classical mansion, which burnt down in 1834.
The estate was subsequently purchased by William Mitchell (later Mitchell-
In 1851 William Mitchell-
Following William Mitchell-
The policies are centred on Ayton Castle, a mid-
A copy of A Short History of Ayton Castle can be obtained from the factor. Please email for further details.
It is requested that cremated remains (ashes) are not scattered or buried anywhere within the grounds of Ayton Castle, including South Lodge and estate properties.